Tuesday, June 16, 2009

but how to tell the story?

the truth is that it's hard for me to tell the entire story in just one entry. but i'll try to at least get you to the here-and-now.

i spent the first ten years of my life in suburbia with mom, dad, and brother. we had a two-bedroom garden apartment in a typical post-ww2 suburban haven on long island. my grandparents lived 30 minutes away. my best friend lived in the apartment 5 doors away. my brother and i played "school" in the courtyard, and i'm sure there were some lemonade stands that happened at one point or another. but there are other memories too. less happy ones. my parents fighting in the living room, with my brother and i listening from our room. my parents fighting in the car. my father storming out to cool off, only to return a few hours later. i think this was about the point in time that i learned the phrase "oh, take your g-damn medication already."

when i was about ten, she sat me down in the kitchen, and told me she was leaving. i wasn't sad. i don't remember crying. but i remember thinking, without fail, that i didn't want to live with her. 

fast forward to middle school. she had stopped taking medication completely. the family court had become familiar and constant, with my mother's accusations of child abuse against my father. all baseless. the local police became acquainted with her antics. she smashed a window at my father's new apartment when he told her she didn't have visitation that day. i refused to see her for a few months. 

and then, one beautiful day in high school, about five years after she had initially left and stopped taking meds, my father told me she had been in the hospital for the past week. everything changed. that hospital, and the cops that dragged her there, became everything that i had ever wished for. somehow they had gotten her back on meds. and my father started to divulge her history to me. i was about 15. it was time. i hadn't had a mother for most of my preadolescence. 

and while my father was my rock, he was still unsure of how to handle the "first period" speech. most of the things i was supposed to learn from my mother, i learned in health class. i learned from my best friends. from their mothers. from my grandmother. and even now, i am still learning from them. but never my mother. never her.

after her hospital stay, lithium brought a quiet change to our relationship. she became a different person. kind. attentive. went back to school and studied with gusto. found a stable apartment. i almost began to get to know her. high school came and went. she sent me off to the prom with all the other mothers. and i got used to it.

college started. but somewhere in the middle of it, she started to fall apart again. i started seeing a therapist. she would call 3 or 5 times in the middle of the night, and i felt helpless. i didn't want to shut the phone off, just in case... just in case... but at the same time, i had no boundaries for her. my therapist then taught me steadily that she was going to continue leaving me in a crumpled ball unless i shut the phone off. and so i began laying down the boundaries of our relationship. she didn't really obey them. but i ignored her antics unless she did. it almost worked.

i graduated from college about five years ago, and moved 4 hours away. she was my first visitor, and i felt awkward the entire visit. i didn't really want her there. but at the same time, i was homesick for family. i felt guilty.

a year and a half after that, all hell broke loose. she stopped taking meds. she quit her teaching job. she started spending vast quantities of money. she started the paranoia speeches again. she started the phone calls again. it was thanksgiving.  by january, i had police officers at my apartment at 3 am because she called them in a panic that something had "happened" to me. 

my carefully laid-out life fell apart. all the feelings of resentment, of guilt, of anger, of helplessness, came back in a flash. my brother, whom i had effectively raised since the age of eight, was failing out of school. i had no choice but to quit grad school and move home. my father said i was the only one who could help get her back to the hospital. so my brother and i cornered her one rainy january day. she responded by almost hitting me with her car, and hitting my brother's car. i fell to the ground sobbing "mommy", like that lost little ten year old losing her mother all over again. 

since that day three years ago, i have felt like a motherless daughter. i had told her before that if she were not on her meds, that she would lose me as a daughter. that she would not be welcome at my passover table. that she would never know her grandchildren. but her illness won her loyalty, and i must keep my word.

how many others are there out there like me? or not like me? how many others have cut their mothers out of their lives in order to move forward? or have they sacrificed their happiness to try and keep their mothers sane? 

how many of you are out there? how are you dealing with it? how is your family dealing? 

my goal on this blog is to tell my mother's story as it goes on. to meet others like me. and learn from them. 



12 comments:

  1. Yes - we're out here. I know your pain.

    Signed,

    36 yr old daughter of a crazy mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read you with shivers. I am here. You're not alone.

    Hugs,
    Stefania.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone. I skimmed past most your entries in the past hour to come to this one.

    What was your mother diagnosed with?

    Sincerely,
    CJ
    www.somethingtochase.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first bipolar disorder, but during her last hospitalization they diagnosed her schizoaffective disorder, which I learned is a combination of bipolar and schizofrenia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Her Motherless Daughter,

    Occasionally I search for blogs like mine. Tonight I did that search and found you. Your mother is familiar to me--in her capacity to draft horrible letters, in her decision (it is one) to live in illness rather than through treatment.

    My mother has been diagnosed as having Bipolar I with psychotic features and Borderline Personality Disorder. I went no contact (as we, the children of those with borderline call it) from her for nearly 3 years. I did so after she'd threatened my and my daughter's life. It wasn't the first time.

    She found me last summer via the internet and now we speak again. She is changed. I don't know whether her changes will last, but menopause seems to have helped. She may be taking medication she chooses not to tell me about. It's been interesting. I'm not hopeful or blind. But I'd never had a single conversation in which my mother was sane for the duration (even my earliest memories are of her rages or accusations or manipulations or lies), and now, I've had nearly a year of them.

    In any event, you can read about her here if you like: http://duckyouforever.wordpress.com/

    (It is duckyouforever because of an email she sent stating: "F--- you forever and die!!!!!!!!!!" (Those ten exclamations are hers.)

    Thanks for witnessing, sharing.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. so I used Google cuz I needed someone to talk to and got to you...I will go through and read some of your blogs but my mother is a paranoid schizophrenic...
    I am having such a hard time with it...I tried to fix it...her...help her...but finally I just cut my ties and its killing me....most of my memories of her are not happy, but the short time she was medicated I seen the mother I could have and just wanted her back.
    I feel myself pushing my friends away not on purpose but because I am so hurt, angry with myself that I haven't spoken to my mom in months...I have tried to call but she either doesn't have her phone or its not on. That's really why I am here...I need to figure out how to get over this, over her. I need to figure out how to cope. I'm doing what all the doctors, social workers, and police officers said to do. But I still feel like the worse person in the world to have abandoned my mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sarah, i understand you so well. i hope i can give you some comfort, but i know that we all deal with our mothers in different ways. it's important to realize that you, YOU, cannot fix her. children of the mentally ill take so much upon themselves - often, we become the parents of our own parents at a very early age, and we don't know how to let that go. all you can do, and all you should do, is what feels right in your heart. i am someone that came to terms with my mother's inability to heal herself, and did what i had to in order to keep myself surviving. cutting her out of my life was a heart-wrenching and painful decision that i am still coming to terms with. but i will say this - that going through this process of grieving, accepting, and allowing myself the physical and mental distance away from her - has ultimately saved my own life.

      i'm always here. stay strong, and just know that you are not, and never will be, alone in this.

      Delete
  7. Looking for something to help with the pain of being "motherless" I cam across your blog. I can't wait to read all the other entries you have made, but just the ones from June 2009 made me feel better and kept me from sobbing at work (something I do all too often).
    I can't relate to the horrible childhood, I had a 'decent' one, however thinking back on it, I now see instances and events that were 'signs' of times to come. My mother flipped her script when I was just 14. She had been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder a few years before that and did really well on meds, but when my step-father died she quit everything (including living) and went on a very fast downward spiral. Over the years, the good times have deminished and conflict is all I know with my mother. I am an only child, with 4 children of my own which she uses against me as much as possible, which is hard. How do you tell your children that the reason they can't see their grandmother is because she is fucking crazy? Growing up my mom and I were super close, she was my everything, my idol. Now, I too wonder if the pain of her death will be easier than the pain of not being able to have a relationship with her at all. I am so glad you started this blog, and look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm glad i've been some kind of help. i'm always here if you need :)

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad to have found your blog! I'm going through the exact same thing! OMG!! You have no idea how happy I am! My mother was also diagnosed as a Paranoid Schizophrenic. It's been extremely hard to deal with because I don't know why it happened. I've tried over and over to find solutions, get her re-evaluated and tried to rebuild a relationship with her. I'm just starting to accept her diagnosis but acceptance is so damn hard.

      I've been in and out of therapy myself to help deal with it. Because of this issue, I have my own issues with anxiety but thankfully, I don't need to be medicated. I was scared for a long time that I would develop the same thing but now I realize that my mother and I are completely different. I handle my issue differently from the way she handles hers.

      I've created a distance between us as well. Not because I don't love or miss her, it was the only way I could stay sane and save my own life. I'm about to graduate college, I have an apartment with my girlfriend, I'm involved with so many positive charities and non-profits, I journal my thoughts, exercise and eat healthy just to keep myself on the straight and narrow. This experience has scared me shitless and has forced me to become a "parent" to my parent at a very early age.

      I was angry for so long because, in my opinion, it just isn't fair. I should be the one to go to my mother for help, support and comfort but I guess, WE have to deal with it the best way we know how.

      Has this experience scared you away from having children of your own?

      Did you ever experience a moment that you thought you'd end up the same way as your parent?

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete